Just days after Apple released its iPhone 4s, a story magically appears in the WSJ that notes Sony’s ambition to buy out Ericsson. (The two have a joint venture that produces handsets). Give those PR guys a raise!
The headline’s timing strikes me as a bit more than just a coincidence. Let’s see…
The 4s was not the major splash that Apple nuts were expecting. HP’s floundering around like an…um…flounder. RIM is, like, so 2 years ago. The major competition comes from HTC, Google (who is about to buy Motorola…and possibly establish a far-reaching evil empire), and Samsung.
Sony most likely senses that it is now or never (well at least in hardware years) to cash in on our obsession with smartphones.
As a completely irrational economic actor, I’ll most likely stick with Apple, conveniently ignoring all evidence that says I should switch. But this competition will be fun to watch!
- Apple starts taking iPhone 4S preorders (electronista.com)
- Sony close to buying out Ericsson share of phone business (electronista.com)
- iPhone 4S pre-orders open now! (slashgear.com)
- Is Sony closing in on takeover of Sony Ericsson? (news.cnet.com)
- Sony Ericsson regrets ignoring iPhone, rags on Windows Phone (electronista.com)
- Report: Sony Plotting To Take Full Control Of Sony-Ericsson (paidcontent.org)